Dame Quentin Bryce reveals task force findings
Dame Quentin headed a special task force to combat domestic and family violence. The task force received bipartisan support and had been deeply moved during its travels across Queensland.
Dame Quentin declared,
We are all alarmed by the statistics – they are shocking – but they do not do full justice to what we have heard about from survivors.
Their stories could have come from war zones. Stories of women brutalised, raped, beaten, controlled, isolated.
These violent actions are not the actions of civilised people and they will not be tolerated.”
Domestic violence task force findings
Findings of the task force was presented to Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, at Parliament House in Brisbane on Saturday. And among the 140 recommendations was the establishment of specialised domestic violence courts.
Ms Palaszczuk said the idea of a specialised court had “merit”, but it, along with the other recommendations, would have to be discussed at a cabinet and parliamentary level before they were adopted.
Legislative changes, such as a new criminal offence of non-lethal strangulation, were also recommended.
Ms Palaszczuk said the government would respond to the report in the coming months.
The article first appeared here http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/dame-quentin-bryce-hands-down-domestic-violence-report-20150228-13rkhz.html